2014/01/30

System Fault That Happens Over A Distance

Funny thing happened recently. I got my hands on the latest (as of this writing) Weekly Sale from Humble Bundle, a collection of rogue-like games, and my attention was drawn immediately to the game I'm plugging talking about today:


Why do I want to talk about this game?

Well, the first reason should be that the game itself is pretty sweet: It has very effective retro graphics, a wonderful atmosphere, can be played in short bursts or long sessions, and a lot of depth.

The second reason is that, in a sense, the game is very similar to what I intend to do with the miniDooM project (and whatever game comes out of it).

In fact, superficially, Teleglitch almost seems a homage/spiritual successor to the original DooM games: Distant planet controlled by a weapons manufacturer, unexpected catastrophe following experimentation with teleporters, single survivor fighting its way along a monster infested installation, zombies, shotgun...

Of course, there are many differences that make Teleglitch it's own thing.

Also, the game is very similar to Notch's Java4k entry Left4kDead: Top down perspective, minimalistic pixel graphics, dynamic shadows, mouse aim.

To me this is significant because Notch's L4kD was the original starting point for my game. Before I decided to use tilemaps and a Zeda-like perspective, I was intending on just expanding the concept from L4kD, but keeping to similar style.

So here I am, faced with a game that hits many of the points I want to hit, and feeling ambivalent about it.

On one hand, it is an excellent opportunity to test an idea similar to my own and see if it is something I want to pursue (it is), as well as help refine some of the concepts.

On the other, it feels like I've been beaten to the punch and my project will thus be irrelevant.

Of course that second point is pretty silly considering that, despite the many similarities, there are also many differences between Teleglitch and my project. And that's a good thing too, thinking about these differences has helped me further realize what makes my project unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment